Objective Type Questions
Fill in the blanks with the correct words:
- The booting process involves running a series of tests to ensure that the computer system is operating properly and loading the operating system into RAM.
- An interactive operating system uses a user interface.
- CUI does not support pointing devices like mouse.
- Windows is the most common operating system used nowadays.
- A multi-user operating system allows more than one users to use the same computer.
State whether True or False. Correct the False statements:
- An operating system is required for controlling the hardware and software resources of the computer. (TRUE)
- A mouse can be used to select the items on the screen in CUI. (FALSE)
(A mouse is used in GUI)
- Distributed operating systems are always installed on a single computer. (FALSE)
(Distributed OS is used in multiple computers)
- Address bar displays information related to the content of the window. (FALSE)
(Status bar displays that content)
- CUI is user friendly and easier to use than GUI. (FALSE)
(GUI is easier)
Choose the correct option:
- Which of the following is the master control program of a computer?
a. Operating System
b. MS Word
c. MS Excel
d. None of these
- Which of the following is/are popular operating system(s) for mobile phones?
b. Windows mobile
d. All of these
- Which of the following interface is mostly used in modern computers?
d. None of these
- Minimize button is located at the ________ corner of the window.
- We can work on more than one software in ________.
c. Both (a) and (b)
d. None of these
Descriptive Type Questions
Answer the following:
- What do you mean by booting?
The process of turning on a computer and loading the operating system into the RAM is known as booting.
- Name two popular operating systems.
Windows 10 and Android are two popular operating systems.
- Mention any two functions of operating systems.
Following are the two functions of operating systems:
a. Device management.
b. File management.
- Name two types of user interface.
Following are the two types of user interface:
a. CUI (Character User Interface)
b. GUI (Graphical User Interface)
- Give the full forms of CUI and GUI.
CUI – Character User Interface
GUI – Graphical User Interface
Answer the following:
- Why do we need an operating system?
We need operating system for the following reasons:
a. It controls the hardware and software resources.
b. The OS provides hardware independence.
c. It makes the applications portable.
d. The OS makes the applications upward compatible.
- What are the main features of an operating system?
Following are the main features of an operating system:
a. The OS can work on diverse hardware platforms.
b. It provides a user interface.
c. It supports a variety of connectivity.
d. The OS provides an administrative user.
e. It helps to boot the computer.
- What are the various types of operating systems?
Following are the types of operating systems:
a. Single-user and Multi-user: Single-user OS allows only one user to work with the computer at a time. Multi-user OS allows multiple users to work with the computer at a time.
b. Real-time: It is an OS that reacts to input within a specific period of time.
c. Distributed: It combines different computers in the network in such a way that the users think they are working on a single computer.
d. Interactive and Batch processing: Interactive OS allows users or programs to perform input-output at any time during processing. Batch processing OS doesn’t allow intermittent input-output.
- Give one example of interactive OS and another of batch processing OS.
Windows is an Interactive OS.
MVS is a batch processing OS.
- Give two examples of distributed OS.
Linux and Windows 2003 are distributed operating systems.
- Give two examples of real-time OS.
Windows CE and Lynx OS are real-time operating systems.
- Give one example of single-user, and another of multi-user OS.
DOS is a single-user OS.
Unix is a multi-user OS.
- What is a user interface?
A user interface refers to the hardware-software mechanism by which a user and a computer interact with each other.
- Differentiate between GUI and CUI.
Following are the differences:
CUI GUI Uses keyboard and monitor for interface. Mainly uses mouse for interaction. A blank screen for the user to type commands. It displays icons, buttons and dialog boxes on the screen. MS DOS and Windows Command Prompt are examples of CUI. Windows 7 is an example of GUI.
- What are the advantages of GUI?
Following are the advantages of GUI:
a. GUI is user-friendly.
b. We can work on more than one software at a time.
c. GUI supports multimedia.
d. We can interact with a mouse.
Fill in the blanks:
- Windows 7 opens documents and applications in rectangular boxes called window.
- Address bar is the horizontal bar that shows the path of application or document.
- Frame is located above the contents of the window and has a menu bar or a toolbar.
- Toolbar contains clickable buttons for commonly used commands.
- Scroll bars can be dragged to show different parts of the contents in the window.
- The Minimize button reduces a window to a button on the taskbar.
- The Maximize button enlarges the window to fill the entire desktop.
- The Restore Down button restores the window to its original size.
- Two types of scroll bars are horizontal and vertical.
- By default, the status bar is at the bottom of the window.
State whether True or False:
- You can resize a window along any of its four corners or sides. (TRUE)
- We click and drag the topmost area of the window to move it. (TRUE)
- During booting, the CPU executes BIOS that loads the OS from hard disk into RAM. (TRUE)
BIOS – Basic Input Output System
OS – Operating System
UI – User Interface
WIMP – Window, Icon, Menu, and Pointer.