Skip to the content
Fill in the blanks with the correct words.
- A computer network is a collection of interconnected computers that are equipped to exchange information.
- Any computer connected to the server is called a workstation.
- A switch can be considered as an intelligent hub.
- A router is a network device that forwards packets from one network to another.
- Infrared technology is used in remote controls.
Write True or False. Correct the false statements.
- A CAN is much larger in extent than a MAN. (False)
A CAN is smaller in extent than a MAN.
- A switch broadcasts data to all the computers connected to it. (False)
A hub broadcasts data to all the computers connected to it.
- An optical fiber cable can transmit voice, video, and data at an extremely high speed. (True)
- A transmitted signal never gets weak on a computer network. (False)
A transmitted signal gets weak on a computer network.
- You will normally find a router for WiFi connection at homes. (True)
Choose the correct option.
- This device is used to connect one LAN to another that use the same protocol.
- Which among the following is/are the advantage(s) of networking?
b) Resource sharing
c) Cost effectiveness
d) All of these
- This type of network is used in a city.
- This technology is used to transfer songs from one mobile phone to another.
d) Both (a) and (b)
- This device is used to connect a computer to the Internet.
d) None of these
Answer the following.
- What is a computer network? Write any two of its advantages.
A computer network is a collection of interconnected computers that are equipped to exchange information and share resources with each other. Two of its advantages are resource sharing and better communication.
- What are the classifications of computer networks based on the coverage area?
The classifications of computer networks based on the coverage area are: PAN (Personal Area Network), LAN (Local Area Network), CAN (Campus Area Network), MAN (Metropolitan Area Network), WAN (Wide Area Network).
- What is a protocol? Describe a few protocols used on the Internet.
A protocol is a set of rules that computers use to communicate with each other across a network.
The HTTP protocol is used to transfer all kinds of information on the Web.
The FTP protocol is used in transferring files between two computers using FTP client and FTP server software.
- What is URL? What are its two types?
URL is a unique address identifying a file on the Web. The two types of URLs are Number address (IP address) and Letter Address (DNS).
- Explain the working of WiFi.
Communication across a WiFi network is like a two-way radio communication, which happens in the following manner:
a) The computer’s wireless adapter translates data into radio signal and transmits it.
b) A wireless router receives the signal and decodes it, and then sends the information to the Internet using a physical, wired connection.
c) The process also works in reverse, with the router receiving information from the Internet, translating it into radio signal, and sending it to the computer’s wireless adapter.
- A server is a computer or a program that manages access to shared resources of a network.
- A client is any computer connected to the server.
- A co-axial cable consists of a central copper wire surrounded by a conductive sleeve separated by an insulator.
- The Ethernet cable is used to connect two network devices directly.
- The optical fiber cable is a thin strand of light-conducting glass fiber.
- A Bluetooth uses a low-power radio wave to connect electronic devices.
- A Bluetooth can connect up to eight devices.
- Bluetooth has a short range of approximately 10 meters.
- Infrared can connect only two devices at a time.
- The process of converting digital signal into analog signal is called modulation.
- The process of converting analog signal to digital signal is called demodulation.
- A hub is a hardware networking device that connects a number of computers and computing devices on a network through its ports.
- A repeater is a hardware network device that regenerates and re-transmits a received signal.
- A gateway is a hardware networking device that connects dissimilar networks.
- An ISP is a company that offers Internet services to individuals against a fee.
- A web page is a document written in HTML.
- You can read HTML documents with the help of a program called web browser.
- A hyperlink or link connects one web page to another.
- A hypertext is a text with a hyperlink.
- A hypermedia is a hypertext which can be text, graphics, video and sound.
- A website is a collection of web pages with related information.
- A web portal or simply portal is a specially designed website that serves as a single point of access for a wide category of information.
- The first page of any website is called its home page.
- A home page is also called an index page.
- TCP/IP is a pair of network protocols used in the Internet.
- OneDrive was previously called Windows Live SkyDrive.
- OneDrive is hosted by Microsoft Corporation.
- OneDrive provides 15 GB of free storage.
- Picasa is a free photo-management software from Google.
- YouTube allows people to discover, watch, and share self-created videos.
- Javed Karim posted the very first YouTube video in April 2005.
- Infrared is a line of sight transmission. (True/False)
- Intranet is private to an organization. (True/False)
- WiFi stands for Wireless Fidelity.
- Modem stands for Modulator Demodulator.
- ISP stands for Internet Service Provider.
- BSNL stands for Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited.
- MTNL stands for Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited.
- DNS stands for Domain Name System.
- TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol.
- IP stands for Internet Protocol.
- HTTP stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol.
- FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol.
- IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol.
- POP stands for Post Office Protocol.
- SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.
- Name the three essential components of a computer network.
Sender, receiver, media.
- Name the two types of co-axial cables.
Base-band cable and Broadband cable.
- Name some ISPs in India.
Vodafone, BSNL, MTNL, Reliance Communication, Airtel, Aircel, Idea Cellular, Hathway.
- Name the founders of YouTube.
Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Javed Karim.
- Give three examples of cloud computing services.
ThinkFree Online, Google Apps and Microsoft Office 365.
- What are the advantages of optical fiber cable?
a) They are lightweight.
b) They suffer low signal loss and provide high bandwidth.
c) They have high data transmission speed.
- List some of the disadvantages of optical fiber cable.
a) It is fragile and needs special care.
b) It has high installation cost.
- What are the advantages of using WiFi?
a) We can connect to the Internet anywhere and anytime.
b) We can connect multiple devices.
c) We can add a new device to our WiFi network easily.
d) It costs less.
- What are the disadvantages of WiFi?
a) It is slower than wired connections.
b) It requires extra security measures.
c) It has a limited range.
- What are the two types of modems?
Internal modem and external modem.
- What do you mean by DNS name resolution?
The process of translating the letter address to the corresponding IP address using DNS servers is called DNS name resolution.
- What is cloud computing?
It is a technology that uses the Internet and a group of central remote servers to hold users’ data and applications.
- What are the characteristics of cloud computing?
a) On-demand self service
b) Broad network access
c) Resource pooling
d) Rapid elasticity
e) Measured service
- What are the advantages of cloud computing?
a) Resources are centralized
b) Cost effective
c) Convenient and continuous availability
d) No need for backups
e) Environment friendly
f) Increased storage capacity