Fill in the blanks
1. The crime committed on the Internet is called cyber crime.
2. The process of making duplicate copy of the original software illegally is known as software piracy.
3. Unwanted emails are called spams.
4. A program which may corrupt the files/documents in your computer is known as virus.
5. Hackers are the cyber criminals who crack the password to access information from the Internet.
6. Computer ethics is a set of moral values which regulate the use of computers.
7. It is advised to have antivirus software to protect systems from viruses.
8. Cyber criminals are punished under Information Technology Act 2000.
9. Malicious code is a threat which corrupts the system and cannot be blocked by an antivirus software.
10. Data Protection Act 1998 can be used to protect any document on the Internet.
Write short notes
1. Software Piracy: It means illegal copying and distribution of software. This occurs when someone doesn’t buy a license or copyright while making duplicate copies of a given software.
2. Spam: The unwanted messages in the mailbox are called spam. It generally contains commercial advertising, promotion of dubious products, etc. Spam filters like spam attack, spam hater can be used to get rid of spam.
3. Cyber Crime: Online criminal activities such as illegal copying of software, computer viruses, stealing data are collectively known as cyber crime.
4. Hacking: It is a technique by which some computer experts can access data from confidential areas of the system. People involved in these crimes are called hackers. Some reasons for hacking include: theft of services, access valuable files, thrill and excitement, psychologically disturbed people, experiment.
5. Software Copyright: It prohibits the users of a software program from making copies of it without the permission of the person or company concerned that issues the license for the software.
6. Cyber Law: There is a significant need for the regulation of cyber activities. The cyber laws helps us achieve this. It makes it possible for us to do online transactions using debit/credit cards, share data and information, e-governance.
Answer the following questions
1. What do ethics mean? Mention any five ethical values related to computers.
Ethics is a set of moral principles that govern the behavior of a group or individual. In IT, computer ethics is about regulating the use of computers. Following are the five ethical values related to computers:
a) Do not install or uninstall software without prior permission.
b) Do not steal information of any other computer.
c) Do not make illegal copies of software for which you didn’t pay.
d) Protect your important documents using passwords.
e) Do not browse unwanted websites or emails.
2. How will you protect your data on the Internet?
a) We should use a good antivirus.
b) Avoid using pirated software.
c) Use unknown pen-drives and memory cards with precaution.
d) Cancel any suspicious on-going downloads.
3. What is meant by malicious code?
Malicious code refers to a new kind of threat which cannot be blocked using an antivirus software. It corrupts the system with time.
4. How will you protect your system from malicious intent and malicious code?
By limiting the capabilities of the servers and web applications to only the functions necessary to support the operations, and bringing awareness and training programs, we can protect our system from malicious intent.
5. What are the advantages of cyber law? Mention any five.
a) Companies are now able to carry out e-commerce.
b) Digital signature is now legal and valid.
c) Government can conduct e-governance.
d) Applications and documents can now be filed in electronic form.
e) Online transactions are now secure.
6. How will you avoid software piracy? Explain.
Copying of software without buying appropriate license or copyright. It leads to illegal distribution of software. It not only promotes immorality, but also affects the sales of the original software.
7. What are the different ways to stop spam?
We can install a good antivirus software, also known as filters to stop spams. Some filters are spam attack, spam hater, etc. We should avoid reading such emails, and delete them instantly.
8. What role can you play to stop cyber crimes? Explain.
a) Avoid disclosing information about yourself to strangers.
b) Avoid sending/sharing photographs online.
c) Use latest and updated antivirus software.
d) Keep a backup of your data.
e) Do not use debit/credit cards on insecure websites.
f) Keep public web servers separate from private ones.